Prev: Re: Metal Storm (Long-ish) Next: [FT] Fleet pics

off topic and weird redux, mega fleet deal, mm

From: The Pink Phantom <thepinkphantom@y...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:11:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: off topic and weird redux, mega fleet deal, mm

At 08:51 AM 1/18/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>> I figure with the wide range of ages and knowledge
of science fiction, etc
>> that I might get lucky so here goes.
>>
>> 10 or more years ago, I came across a book in the
local library, a work of
>> fiction.  In this book, there are full color space
ship/battles
>> illustrations.  The book tells the tale of a
fictional future war between
>> earth, Alpha centauri (both 'good' guys) and
proxima centauri (bad guys).
>> The library edition was a hardcover, approximate 8
1/2 by 11, roughly 50
>> pages.
>
>There are actually a few books in the 'Terran Trade
Authority' series by
>Stewart Cowley.
>
>Spacecraft 2000-2100 AD

I have been looking for years to find out about this
book.  I had a friend who had it many, many years ago
(early to mid '80's?).	I borrowed it one day and
actually copied the illustrations of the ships (this
was back when I was a kid, I was passing time at my
mom's workplace during the summer).

Must...have...books...!

Well let me put the combined genius of the list to
work on another bookish problem.  This same friend had
a book about the solar system with the usual breakdown
of a chapter per planet.  But at the end of each
chapter there was a section hypothesizing an
intelligent lifeform (or two) for each of the
(non-Earth) planets.  I remember the Venusian snacked
on parts of burned out probes from Earth.  Anyone know
this?

As an aside, about the same time I bought a book
called "Star Quest" by Steven Caldwell in a series
called Galactic Encounters from Crescent Books.  It
featured the story of the first Human contact with a
warlike race called the Phalans (not Phalon).  It had
pictures of many interesting ships, which made want to
find and buy the sister books "Aliens in Space" and
"Worlds at War" to find more.  Anyone ever read
anything in this series?

Also, anyone have some really good pics of the various
styles of ships in the many factions?

And finally, though I'm sure this is a repeat on this
list-- 6mm, 15mm, 25mm, etc. is size relative to what
when describing miniatures?  The size of a 'person'?
The equivalent to a fixed length (1m maybe)?

=====
The Pink Phantom
Conquering the galaxy since 1986

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: Metal Storm (Long-ish) Next: [FT] Fleet pics