Prev: Re: Jon of Needham and the ORC Next: [OT-ish] Model-T power armor?

Re: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:38:44 +1100
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>

> I read somewhere that there was a PDS system based on the GAU-8 that
> competed with the CSWS, and it was more effective, but it was rejected
> because it would have to be mounted like a turret, not bolted to the
deck.
> Of course, this is what i HEARD, I can't confirm or deny.  Bit a DPU
PDS....
> good lord....

You heard right. There were a number of US GAU-8 designs.
The Dutch "Goalkeeper" uses one, too.

DPU PDS - try the quadruple 25mm Zenith, each of which fires a 14.5mm
APDS-DU-T round. Or HE-I vs aircraft rather than missiles.
We're talking 1800 metre/sec muzzle velocity. The idea is that any
incoming missile, no matter how heavily teh warhead is armoured, will
get initiated by this.

Think "Swiss Cheese". Which is appropriate, it's made by Oerlikon-
Contraves Zurich.

Prev: Re: Jon of Needham and the ORC Next: [OT-ish] Model-T power armor?