Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: Metal Storm

Re: Re[5]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:24:28 +0100
Subject: Re: Re[5]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Flak Magnet" <flakmagnet72@yahoo.com>
> I have to admit that I'm not sure how large an artillery round is...
> How big would one have to be to load 3-5 155mm rounds? Would something
> like that be unwieldy for a gunbunny team to slam into the breach of a
> hybrid MetalStorm/conventional barrel system?

I guess so. AFAIK, (and somebody with better knowledge may perhaps
correct
me) a 203 mm grenade is about the largest that a man can lift, and that
is
without the charge. 155 mm are rather smaller but still hard work and,
again, grenade and charge are separate. I don't see a metal-storm like
artillery system that relies on the ammo being man-handled. It might be
possible to make one with an autoloader.
Another possible issue is that, AFAIK, artillery, especially howitzers
still
use variable charges to vary their range (or am I out-of-date here?)

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: Metal Storm