Prev: Re: [CON] ECC V - Six weeks Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:26:26 -0600
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

The objections you raise to using metalstorm in a PDS role are design
issues that would have to be worked out during testing.

Simply put if you don't want to have to use a hoist, don't make the
frames
so big that they need a hoist.	A metalstorm PDS would be even more of a
"bolt-on" solution since pre-loaded racks could be delivered as a supply
item and the ship could carry a limited supply.  What's more you could
"upgrade" the gun easier since you could change what's being fired
entirely
(say 7.62 to 25mm) and the only change would be in the software of the
targeting system since the firing mechanism is the same.

I didn't want to get into hard (or even soft) numbers, but IIRC the
Phalanx
had an ammo capacity of something like 250-300 rounds.	That's only
about
25-30 metalstorm barrels.  Let's say we mount 10 metalstorm barrels in a
frame.	That's 100 rounds, and probably roughly 30 pounds (or so).
[According to a previous post the barrels are stronger and lighter than
regular firearm barrels, at the expense of durability.]  You'd need 3 of
them to replicate a Phalanx  so that's 90 pounds of consumables.  Reload
time would be maybe 2 minutes under combat conditions, and any swabbie
could schlep a 30 pound rack one-handed.  You could probably even double
that to 60 pounds and it still wouldn't be unmanageable.  And remember
we're talking about automated point defense where volume of fire is more
important than pinpoint accuracy not to mention the fact that it's not
going to be used continually.

Like I said before I don't think that the metalstorm concept is going to
replace every type of weapon system, but this is definitely one
application
where I could see it being useful.  I also like the idea of it being
used
like an oversized claymore mine in a defensive or ambush application.

Bill

		    Ryan Gill

		    <rmgill@mindspring.com>	    To:
gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
		    Sent by:			    cc:

		    owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Be	    Subject:	 Re:
Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)
		    rkeley.EDU

		    01/18/02 10:35 AM

		    Please respond to gzg-l

Umm imagine trying to hoist a barrel assembly onto a mount like
Phalanx on a pitching an rolling deck.

Also, Phalanx has the issue with ammo capacity based on its limited
size and installation requirements. Goalkeeper penetrates decks and
has below deck access. Phalanx doesn't. Phalanx can be fitted to
smaller craft as long as they are able to take that amount of weight
there (effectively a bolt on application).

Prev: Re: [CON] ECC V - Six weeks Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.