Prev: Re: Ganas Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Cascadian IFV

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:26:03 -0500
Subject: Cascadian IFV

1) I know what John is talking about - the
difference between an infantry taxi-driver (made
famous in one of my WW2 games as the
Hanomag Taxi) and the wannabee tanker
driving something that isn't a tank and
shouldn't be shooting it out with them.

I don't mind putting an RFAC and a GMS on a
vehicle. The RFAC for anti-infantry and light
vehice (other APC) work. The GMS for bunker
kills and for kills against other APCs. Only in
desparation would I engage tanks with an APC.
You don't have the armour, and probably
shouldn't have the PDS (for RL reasons John
alluded to). And the _last_ thing  you want to
see is infantry baking in the can .... or not
having a lift to where they need to be.

2) My preferred IFV design, given the silliness
of the DS2 construction system:
Size 3
Power CFE (cheap)
Carries 2xinfantry squad
Armour 3 (nuts, but the rules make it too
cheap)
PDS None
ECM Enhanced
RFAC/1 or GAC/1 (the later might require HMT
for the power draw) (GAC == MDC)
GMS/H (should be bought per round too)
Smoke Grenades

This gives the minimal 2 acceptable infantry
teams, it keeps the size class to 3 (we don't
plan to build huge targets), it has a small
enough size and ECM to be not entirely
vulnerable, it isn't terribly expensive, it has
good armour for its size, and it has good anti-
infantry FP (I too use GAC or RFAC 1 as having
an anti-infantry option as an APSW) and has the
GMS/H to deal with enemy APCs, hovering
VTOLs, bunkers, or in extremis, tanks.

But then, I'm not a DS2er much yet. Played my
first game at ECC last year (HotSpot... here's a
plug - if you're going to ECC, get in on this
one...!), and played at Campcon and a couple
of other times since. But I played a lot of
Challenger II microarmour so I have some idea
of the tanks vs. APCs vs. IFVs issue.....

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: Ganas Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.