Prev: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle) Next: Re: [OT] Metalstorm-ish tech from an infantry PoV

Ganas was Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:53:42 EST
Subject: Ganas was Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:28:45 +0100 KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de
(K.H.Ranitzsch) writes:

>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
<snip>
>'ganas' ?
>

>> Gracias,
>> Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
>
>Saludos
>Carlos Enrique

An interesting term a delightfully bright and idealistic  young GA
(Geospatial Analyst) who sits on the Hispanic Emphasis Program Council
used to describe me after one of my group e-mail messages about a
Council
meeting agenda issue.

It means, essentially, with Gusto or Panache apparently.  When she
apologized in person the way she said the word clearly indicated it was
G-rated.  It is a trip to watch her change from 'professional
controlled'
to 'enthusiastic and spirited' when the subject changes from data
collection issues to diversity issues.	I guess I really need some of
that to counter balance the experienced cynics (such as myself) I have
on
the council...	But that's a long story that strays way OT.

Since my background was Californian "Spanish" (differs from Californian
"Mexican," too) and not her New Mexico Hispanic my  "Excuse me?" e-mail
made her realize that the term was unknown to me.  And capable of
significant misunderstanding. <VBG> Being said in an e-mail of course
only made the cross cultural confusion worse (I really *really* want
video capable e-mail!)	I wasn't sure whether to be pleased, amused,
shocked or wary initially.  Now I know, it's good.  Although it removes
some of my "Cynic" reputation...  Oh well, I've done that too long, time
for a change.

And for those wondering, yes, there are significant differences between
Hispanic sub groups.  As I have discovered yet *again* since I took the
chair of the council.  Oh well, it's just a two year term assignment.
Assuming I don't resign in frustration first.  <grin>

Muchas Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle) Next: Re: [OT] Metalstorm-ish tech from an infantry PoV