Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:15:05 EST
Subject: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:43:28 +1300 "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz>
writes:
>Brian Bilderback wrote:
>> ...given HOW mountainous and forested the terrain is, especially
>along the
>old US-101 corridor.
>
>Have you considered using a VTOL instead? Might sound silly, but IIRC,
>Russians used Hind helicopters to good effect in Afghanistan, which is
>very
>hilly.
>
>Andrew Martin
>ICQ: 26227169 http://valley.150m.com/
>-><-

Might work better there since those mountains are not, IIRC, so high as
the ones in Afghanistan (No, I have not checked an atlas; No, this is
not
my part of the world; Yes, I am definitely swagging on 14 year old
memories.)  But I do remember that high elevations limited the lift of
the Hinds and I don't remember that ever being a problem in helicopters
fighting fires in Washington or Oregon.  But if I am wrong someone will
point it out.  <grin>

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.