Prev: Re: [OTT]Student Politics/ Future Shock Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:38:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

Side note:  I'm not making up this issue.  The US Army
has been driving Bradleys for 20+ years, and the
Ruskies have had BMPs for far longer.  The Ruskies
never had decent doctrine to use them, and the dirty
little secret is neither does the US.

> Both actually. The GMS-H's are there to deal with
> enemy armor, MICVs,
> or what ever the MICV's come across. Its a
> generalist vehicle. If my

Generalist vehicles are for the birds.	A generalist
vehicle is one that can't do any ONE thing right.

> infantry are holding positions, being able to fire
> heavy weapons at
> range and lighter weapons (be it GMS-Ls, Small arms,
> apsws, or IAVRs)
> as the enemy comes closer is good. The Infantry

No, it's not.  Because you can't mass fires.  To
properly mass fires, you'd have to deploy your IFVs
about 2km back.

> can't carry around
> enough firepower to really deal well with heavy
> armor. That MICV
> stays next to that squad of infantry and they work
> in concert.

Nice theory--but I've seen infantry try to fight and
it doesn't work that way in Real Life.

> 5 stands (3 rifle, 1 APSW team, 1 GMSL team) of
> infantry and 4 micvs
> makes a potent force in this form.

Actually, that's far too small a platoon to be
effective.  I prefer more rifles and APSWs.

Mix in 2 more
> platoons and a
> treble of Mortars in their own tracks and you get a
> decent force that
> can close and assault positions, defend a position
> from enemy armor
> or perform a move to contact type battle.

*Yawn*

You're lecturing ME on force composition?  Have you
seen my webpage?

> >Me, I figure GMS/Hs are what you have a D Company
> for.
>
> Why split it up? Why not give every unit the
> weapons?

Because then you can mass effects properly.  I'm a big
believer in massing fires--I want to throw GMS/Ls,
GMS/Hs, direct fire, indirect fire, and air support on
the enemy all at the same time.  It's far more
effective than pissing on him.	Why?  If he can
concentrate fires on you (and assaulting your
hypothetical unit, I would be able to) and you can't
(for instance--fight the battle in stages, first
taking out your IFVs from distance, then gradually
closing in to tear up your dismounts) then you're
effectively outgunned.

For the record, Standard NRE Mechanized Infantry
Bandon (Minus) (Plus):

HQ Section: IFV, Forward Observer APC
2xRifle Allaghion: 4xIFV, 4xRifle, 2xAPSW, 2xGMS/L
Armored Allaghion: 4xMedium Tanks
Air Defense Lochagos: 2xZAD
Mortar Lochagos: 2xMortar carriers
Anti-tank Allaghion: 1xAPC, 5xTank Destroyers

Total points: 7,730, which is pretty much on the low
side of the fights I've been in.  So to make up
points, I designate it the Moira main effort and chop
an artillery Bandon to direct support, which adds
another 1519, plus ammo (1200 if I don't include
smoke, which is as likely as my converting to Islam).

John

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: [OTT]Student Politics/ Future Shock Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.