Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Jon of Needham and the ORC

Re: Metal Storm

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:56:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Metal Storm

At 10:12 AM +1100 1/18/02, Alan E Brain wrote:

>This system is not suitable for co-ax work from under armour. It is
>way suitable for replacing the pintle mount on top.

If you want a big boxy pintle on top.

>Why? How much do 10 25mm rounds weigh? The barrel is about as heavy
>as the 25mm cartridge cases.
>This is hypothetical: the only experimental models have been 80mm,
>40mm, 9mm, 20mm AFAICR.

>No, it's as thin as a cartridge case along its whole length. Almost.
>Actually rather thicker, but made of something quite a bit stronger
>and very much lighter than brass.

Sounds nice and resiliant.

>Take a look at the web site!

I went looking at this thing when it started its rounds in the
Military News groups about 2 years ago. I wasn't convinced it will
replace all weapons then, and I'm not now.

>  >Each one of those
>>  rounds will have a different muzzle velocity because they will have
>>  traveled down a different length barrel. Sure you might be able to
>>  vary the powder portion per round,
>
>Correct, this is what they do.

How close do they get with the accuracy and precision.

>[snip]
>I think you're labouring under a misapprehension: There's no breech.
>Take a look at the web site.

Ok, something that will contain the force of the expansion of gasses
of the propellant from the last round. For a 25mm, that is pretty
substantial. Even it if is for just one use.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			       '72 Honda CB750 -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill	      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
- C&R-FFL - /	Protect Freedom AND Security	  \	       -
-    NRA   /  http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Jon of Needham and the ORC