Prev: RE: Re: Asteroid etc.belts Next: Re: OT: This is sad but interesting:

RE: Re: Asteroid etc.belts

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:56:59 -0700
Subject: RE: Re: Asteroid etc.belts

But depending on your PSB, level 2 shields might provide protection
against such X-rays out to a few light days or months or something.  In
any case, the point I'm trying to make is that level 2 shields would be
able to get closer than level 1 shields, and level one shields can get
closer than no shields.  The effect of moving to a range that your
shields didn't protect might be getting hit with a Class 4 beam.  Shield
failure could be really bad if you're in the high X-ray zone.

Interesting effects might be that missiles are useless since their
electronics fry when they leave the protection of the ship's shields.
Ditto for fighters, except that the pilots become smoking bacon.

Could lead to tactics like WW2 submarine warfare where you have one side
that can't enter a certain zone, but can fire weapons into it
(destroyers), and you have another side in a more dangerous zone that
might kill them if they get too damaged (submarines.

You might need to give everyone a bunch of ECM points when in the X-ray
field also due to high background levels radiating everywhere.

--Binhan