Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

RE: Pirates, USCG and concealed turrets and Reds under the Beds

From: "Bob Makowsky" <rmakowsky@y...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:42:06 -0400
Subject: RE: Pirates, USCG and concealed turrets and Reds under the Beds

Tomb,

A good question for our own CG lawyers (I know, I know, worse than
pirates!).

It would be a matter of distance from the US and who was doing it.

If it was a governmental organization it would be USN.

If it was criminals stealing boats in the Caribbean it would be USCG.

Jurisdiction is clear, Navy cannot board vessels on the high seas unless
we
are at war.  I'm not sure if "War on Terrorism" counts.  USCG can with
permission from the Flagged country.  If the vsl is not flying a
countries
flag then they can be boarded.

This results in USCG LE Teams being carried on USN vessels to do
boarding.
The Navy chases and stops the vsl and the USCG has the right of
boarding.
Best of both worlds.

As for Beth's comment about USCG training - this is ongoing all over but
in
Southeast Asia they are concentrating on Anti-Piracy.

Magic