Prev: Re[3]: St Jon's remarks Next: RE: RE: Letters of marque

Re: Letters of marque

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:31:12 +0000
Subject: Re: Letters of marque

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 04:46:24PM +1100, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
>There's that, but there's also the "I know where you have to go" part
of it
>too
>[...].
>So in the GZGverse I'd expect them to
>concentrate in asteroid belts etc that cut the main route from jump
point to
>point of call, especially if there are only a limited number of
navigable
>routes through the obstacle.

Also, deep-space inter-jump points. If a freighter's taking a route that
involves more than one jump before it gets to its destination, one
assumes that it's going to file a flight plan (so if it doesn't show up
the coast-guard-equivalent knows where to look). A group of freighters
might also want to set rendezvous points in deep space to make sure the
fleet stays together.

Obviously, sitting on a random location in deep space doesn't gain the
pirate very much; but if he has an inside man at that
coast-guard-equivalent office, or on board the ship, then he can come
down on the merchant while the latter is still in jump-shock...

Roger

Prev: Re[3]: St Jon's remarks Next: RE: RE: Letters of marque