Prev: Re: mercs Next: Re: [OT]GZG HotBox Cookbook

Re: GunRunning Down Under

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:20:35 +1100
Subject: Re: GunRunning Down Under

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>

> --- Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@austarmetro.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > Actually it was a Labour Government IIRC, but could
> > be wrong The Liberals are in power now.

(BTW as Brendan so kindly told me, it was the Libs after all)

> So tell me, to a conservative (ie: still feels strong
> loyalty to the Sole Rightful Autocrat) is there a
> difference?

Yes. The Libs actually do more for the unemployed etc, but
say all the wrong things. They're scientifically illiterate,
and their immigration policy sucks. I'd call myself a
left-wing Liberal, broadly in agreement with em but very
very VERY anti on a few key issues. Like their starving
of science. And the concentration camps in the desert for
illegal immigrants.

The Labour party - i.e. the party of Labour, the Unions
have a 30% block vote - are great at saying the right
things but doing very little about social security apart
from spending lots of money to little effect. They're
also in bed with many of the richest 1% of the country.
I like what they say, I loath what they do, and trust them
not one iota. Forex their science and R&D policy sounds
great, but examine the numbers and you see that they
give even less money to Academe than the Phillistine
Libs :-(

The Democrats are Labour without the backbone. Too touchy
feelly. Too willing to kowtow to Labour. Wishy-washy.

And the Greens are (some of em) superstitious anti-technologists
who would otherwise get my vote, some of their policies are
actually pretty good - what they do is good, what they say isn't.
Tasmania is a Green stronghold BTW.

All very much IMHO. By all means get opinons from Derek and
Beth - they're bound to be different from mine, and I'd be
interested in what they have to say (I respect them both
immensely).

> > c) Seven times Never ship unsafe ammunition!
> > d) Don't get caught.
> >
> > Of these, the most important is c). The rest is
>
> I thought that would be d).

c) Endangers civilians and Australian civilians at that.

The rest can be written off as part of the "Great Game",
Realpolitik. d) in particular we could write off as being
bad luck, one of the risks, no hard feelings. c) is unforgivable.

Prev: Re: mercs Next: Re: [OT]GZG HotBox Cookbook