Prev: [FT] Cross the Beams Weapon System Next: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)

RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:14:32 +1100
Subject: RE: About those Piranha Bugs - LOOOOONG

G'day,

> Don't most predators in general tend to supplement predation with
> scavenging?

Some. Some predators will only eat live meat (e.g. many predatory
reptiles),
some will scavenge (e.g. lions, hyenas etc), but others supplement with
vegetation (e.g. humans ;) ) or even photosynthesis (e.g. corals).
Really
depends how strictly you define predator ;)

> There'd still be a top end to the mass of bugs sustainable in
> a given area, wouldn't there be?

Yes, but there is no mention in the report of what food sources are
available, how bug an area they can cover etc. You could have a VERY
dense
colony if they can cover a large area or there are very rich resources
available.

> True, but this still would support the concept of a highly
> territorial bug, since they're STILL not going to want
> other colonies around during the development of the next
> stage of bugs....

Depends whether or not their is direct threat/competition at that time.
You
quite often see animals cosying up nicely at one time of the year only
to be
at each others throats at another time.

> Don't stop now, the more you suggest, the more cool ideas I
> get for future use. :-)

Well thought it prudent to stop and have you wanting more.... I also had
go and do MEGA house-cleaning duties seeings as parents-in-law arrive
Thursday...

Cheers

Beth

Prev: [FT] Cross the Beams Weapon System Next: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)