Prev: Re: [OT]GZG HotBox Cookbook Next: RE: Letters of marque

[OT] Webring and List codes

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:30:28 -0500
Subject: [OT] Webring and List codes

1) Thanks for the URL http://valley.150m.com/Dirtside/FAQ/Etiquette.html

Andrew, but I'm afraid I'll have to take issue with part
of the code proposed therein. It seems to me rather
redundant to include GZG in every list subject line.
We're ON the GZG list, and that should be reflected
in the SMTP addresses that arrive in the e-mail. This
should be sufficient to route messages without
additional redundancy. Subject line codes should
only provide information not resident in the e-mail
headers.

Otherwise, I will excerpt some of the very useful
commentary on that page, although I've already
written a fairly detailed set of pages relating to this
matter. There are a couple of nice points on the page
you provided. Thanks!

2) My suggested list of codes (derived from the page
provided plus some things I found missing)

GZG (which I think is redundant in
proposed use and should be exclusively
for deus ex cathedra use by Jon)
FMA
B5
EFSB
DS2
DS3
DS
FT
FT2
MT
FB
FTFB
FB1
FB2
FTFB1
FTFB2
FT3
SG2
SG3
SG
OT
FMAS
AD
ANNOUNCE
NEWS
FH
HIST
LIST
ADMIN (Prefer this to LIST)
MINI
ECC
GZG-ECC
WCC
GZG-WCC
CON
GEOHEX
EUREKA
BRIGADE
DLD
OFFICIAL
PSY
PSI
BIO
ALIEN
ARCHIVES

Codes for Countries:
SK - Saeed Khalifate
FCT - Free Cal-Tex
SF - Scan-Fed
RH - Romanovs
PAU - Pan Africans
ESU - Eurasian Solar Union
NAC - New Anglians
FSE - The parts of Europe usually being invaded :)
NSL - The parts of Europe usually doing the invading :)
JAP - Japan
KNG - Dutch Kingdom
LLAR - Bitter dudes from South America
IC - Indonesians
OU - Aussies and Kiwis
NI - Israelis
IF - Islamic Fed
SV - Savasku (Sierra Victor)
KV - Kra'Vak (Kilo Victor)
PH - Phalons (John Holmes)
NFR - New French Republic
SWI - Switzerland
UN - United Nations
ORC - Outrim Coalition

3) WebRing

Jed said:
There's adware??
Hmm....
Let me look into this. I joined Webring many many
many years ago and stuck with it through its
closures, changes to Yahoo, and back on its own
again...
=======
Read the Terms of Service Jeremy. And follow the
link there to their privacy (or lack thereof) statement.
On the one hand, they probably aren't being terribly
odious - they tell you about the adds, they at least try
to stream the adds to your taste in surfing, etc. They
probably need to pay the bills. But that's sort of
besides the point - I want a ring that has no ads and
collects no information about its users. We're small
enough and the application limited enough that I can
easily see hosting an FT, DS and SG ring without
_any_ load on a server. I just need to figure out what
kind of things need to be done with Perl and CGI
and mySQL to make this feasible - a long term
project, given the backlog of contributions from
people that me and Adrian are trying to get posted
on our site.

You see, most of us need either free services or
cheap ones. I'm one of the few who has the odd
combination of a good commercial service, a good
co-creator and partner (yes Adrian, I said something
nice about you... it _is_ one of the four
horsemen...), and a fair bit of programming talent
(though mostly Java/C++/TCPIP oriented). So in the
long run, I hope to be able to leverage these assets
to provide
- a non corporate webring
- an alternate home for GZG-L or at least a point of
contact if the list goes belly up someday
- a community site with message boards and maybe
a chat area
- etc.

There may be some issues that may prevent some of
these plans (my time, some server side capability
limits, etc), but this is the path I've set myself on,
albeit at very slow sublight speeds....

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: [OT]GZG HotBox Cookbook Next: RE: Letters of marque