Prev: RE: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: RE: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

[ADMIN] Need List Admin Information and feedback

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:22:28 -0500
Subject: [ADMIN] Need List Admin Information and feedback

There are or were the following email lists
gzg-l
gzg-aliens
gzg-pedia
gzg-computer

Am I missing any publicly available gzg lists?

Which are still 'live' and functioning lists?

Who is the list admin for each of these lists?

Do each of these lists operate on the same list-
serv and hence are list serv commands which
operate on gzg-l also executable on the other
three? If not, how do I find out which
commands are supported?

Also, can someone remind me of where to find
the gzg-l archives? And are there archives for
the other three lists?

Digests are available for gzg-l. Are digests
available for the other three lists?

Lastly, someone proposed tags [SG] [DS] etc
for the lists to enable effective sorting. Does
anyone have a record or an URL which lists the
proposed tags?

My thanks for the information, I am attempting
to compile all of this information for a page on
www.stargrunt.ca of use to new and old list
members alike and those interested in joining.

Also, just a general question: If I include a
politely worded list of recommendations as to
gzg-l ettiquette, would that be out of place?
Things I would plan to mention:
- plaintext only (no RTF/HTML/etc)
- no attachments
- re-read posts before sending (for meaning)
- avoid me-tooism and posting when you don't
have something interesting to add
- use the archives, especially before reposting
something that might have been dissected 13
times before
- be aware of the breadth and depth of
experience and knowledge the list members
possess, hence be careful when asserting
opinions as fact or substituting supposition for
knowledge because somebody out there
probably _really_ does know
- post links, not images
- try to stay topical on postings
- try to maintain an appropriate subject line
- be aware of the contextless nature of e-mail
and realize most people don't mean to offend,
hence recommend the use of frequent
emoticons (smileys and the like) and similar
constructs to replace missing body language
clues (an example would be <*grin*> )
- flame wars are undesireable, and polite
conduct is desireable. Truly controversial issues
should be approached and discussed
circumspectly and personal attacks are to be
avoided. Off-topic issues or emotionally loaded
issues are best discussed off list.
- a mention of the diversity of the lists
subscriber base as including people from many
parts of the world, many nationalities, and many
ethnicities (and undoubtedly religions, world
views, etc).

Would this be something useful to new
subscribers perhaps (if done in a non-preachy
way)? I'd rather not have anyone feel that they
were being lectured to, but I'm sure there are
new people who are just arrived or will arrive
for whom some of this falls under the category
of "I didn't know" and if there was a resource
that provided some guidance, perhaps they
could avoid some of the typical cycle where
people end up pointing out things like "you
know, you said you think X is wrong, but X is
actually a tank designer" or "your HTML is
showing" or "aargh! you sent attachments!" or
"please don't be offended John's tone" or
"archives? what are those" or "digest? what's a
digest?"... etc.

Feedback is appreciated and gratefully
received.

Tomb Raider
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: RE: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: RE: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels