Prev: Re: St Jon's remarks Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

Re: Mercs, yet again

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:50:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Mercs, yet again

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

> [Tomb] A regional governor is a
> representative of a major power. And there

Yeah, but I'm assuming that they have a lot of
leeway--especially on balkanized planets where actions
to "ensure security" are going to be judging in terms
of "did you win".

> is plenty of modern evidence that PMCs are
> being retained by major governments to
> fight or aid in the fighting in situations they
> don't want to participate in. And the ONLY

Rare--and never, ever acknowledged.

> way the UN will allow a Mercenary Charter
> to come into being will involve the
> mercenaries that are chartered from not
> participating in insurgent operations to
> destabilize a national government, on that
> you can depend. So those doing that will be
> doing it unchartered (quite probable) or
> very carefully and quietly.

Hrm--you're assuming that a Merc Charter is under UN
supervision.  You're also assuming that the UN will
suddenly get over it's schitzophrenia regarding
insurrections.

> [Tomb] I wonder if buying a corvette is
> more expensive than equipping a Division?

I wonder how many divisions are actually in the
market, and whether a merc group of corvettes would be
worth hiring?

> [Tomb] Most modern fleets do on-board
> training. And modern simulators are getting

Uhhh, but not until they train their crewmen for some
time on land.  Anyone on the list know how long it
takes to train a submarine crewman?

> [Tomb] And you can make ad hoc warships
> in GZGverse by removing some cargo
> spaces and installing weapon spaces in a
> fast freighter. The rules don't preclude this
> at all and neither, AFAIK, does the
> universe. Yes, purpose built warships are
> better. That is still the same.

You'd be gambling pretty heavily trying to operate
those.

John

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: St Jon's remarks Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels