Prev: Re: Interstellar Shipping Next: [FT] Power Projection (was Mercs in space)

RE: mercs

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:11:05 -0500
Subject: RE: mercs

>From: Thomas Barclay

>4) People talk about mercs (which rightly is really
discussed as the private military corporation) of
using civilian transport. I heartily agree with
whoever it was said that if you don't have support,
evac, dustoff, then you're already screwed before
you arrive.

I've taken contracts like that, either because we had to have the cash
*now* or to get a foot in the door for later (granted no one was
shooting at me,  but a contract with negative profit is much the same to
a salescreature).  It's not the way you want to operate but that doesn't
mean the situation will never reach a tabletop.  You could have a good
3-sided scenario: Merc A and Merc B are trying to reach the (single)
off-planet lift, while forces hostile to both are prusuiung (or ahead of
them, trying to secure the spaceport).	Add in some civilians (do we
fight off the other mercs so we have room for the wealthy
bankers/politicians/industrialists?  Do we offer shelter to the young
ladies from the nursing school up the road?) for extra color.

> 5) We talk about Mercs on the ground. Mercs in space
are quite feasible too - maritime recovery, security and anti-piracy.
<snip>	If I can augment my navy with some mercs - then that's a
good thing. I'm not talking line-of-battle...

Bear in mind what the mercs will want to be doing--ie things where
they're not likely to get those expensive ships damaged.  The NAC can
afford to lose some destroyers screening the line of battle but a merc
can't.	That's why my first merc designs were Nightvision class recon
corvettes--they're not intended to fight, just to see and report, and
run like heck if needed.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: Interstellar Shipping Next: [FT] Power Projection (was Mercs in space)