Prev: Re: D-Day was Shermans Next: Re: D-Day was Shermans

Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:10:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> An interesting article from Armor magazine some time
> ago (don't remember
> which issue offhand, but can check): During the UN
> operation in Macedonia,
> some of the US posts guarding the Serbian-Macedonian
> border were supplied
> by the neighbouring Finnish troops during the snowy
> period - because the
> Finnish SISU wheeled APCs were able to negotiate the
> snow and get to the
> posts, while the US tracked M113s either got stuck
> or turned into gigantic
> sleighs (and the weather was too poor for helos to
> fly out to the posts) :-/

I don't often sharpshoot you, but if the Sisu in
question is the Sisu that my company had one of in
Kosovo, it's got band tracks.

> Does the latest M113s have the newest tracks,
> though?

I've seen old track pulled off display M113s from the
early 60s to go onto operational M113A3s (special
circumstances).  It's the same track.

John

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: D-Day was Shermans Next: Re: D-Day was Shermans