Prev: RE: RE: girl soldiers Next: RE: RE: girl soldiers

RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:29:47 -0800
Subject: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

Beth.Fulton Wrote:

>G'day,

God, I love how polite that always strikes me.	Kinda disarms me
regardless
of the rest of the message.

> > Human nature is fundamentally flawed, and more or less
> > unchangable.  People don't get better.  That's the
> > only constant in all of history.
>
>This is a good point John, and its why EVERY single nation on Earth has
>atrocities in their history (and probably in their collective future
>unfortunately). I don't mind drawing parallels between modern/past
events
>and things that may occur in the GZGverse as its the only thing we've
got
>draw from (and its what marks out good scifi usually) and that's why
I'd
>hate to see a blanket ban on linking modern events, traits or
behaviours
>and
>the GZGverse. However, I think characterising entire nations as "we'd
never
>do that except if we were over enthusiastic militia" or "they all suck
to a
>man" is as foolish as saying entire planets will always be desert or
water
>or garden like or that all of an alien species will be identical clones
><unless of course they really are clones ;)>. The GZGverse should be
>vibrant
>in the fact it is a mosaic not blanket 2-dimensional characterisations.
>
>In all, I'd hate for the creativity, imagination, hard work and good
ideas
>of any of the list members' submissions to be detracted from or
overwhelmed
>by less savoury contributions that are making this list a far less
pleasant
>or interesting forum to participate in.
>
>Beth

Well put, Beth.  I  regret anyone considered me Stupid or Ignorant - my
intent was not to critique American policy, it was to point out that no
coulture or people is above committing shameful acts.  But other
cultures
have repented and made good, even after long years of denial, and I'm
just
naive enough to believe it can happen again in the future.

Since I believe Beth and Karl's comments put a good final point to the
discussion, I will refrain from further comment, and particularly refuse
engage in personal attacks.

.... rummaging through brain for new subject material....

Brian B2

Prev: RE: RE: girl soldiers Next: RE: RE: girl soldiers