Prev: Re: SG2 Scale Survey Next: Re: Mercs

Re: Merc Guild

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:53:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Merc Guild

--- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Not if there are other customers out there that CAN
> afford you.  There will
> definitely be an entire supply/demand dynamic.
> Mercs won't work for less
> than $X, customers won't pay more than $Y, in
> between the two is where
> you'll find most contracts.

Can the average nation afford enough to make it worth
the while of an armored unit?  IMNSHO, while the
various colonies are going to be resource-rich, they
are going to be capital-poor and hard cash-poor.
Mercenaries can't be paid in lumber or crops.
Diamonds are a possibility, but only for highly
organized units with support assets capable of
marketing them.

> A) Customer shall supply us with tanks (Least
> likely)

If customer had tanks, customer would be driving them
into combat.

> B) Customer shall provide us with replacement
> vehicles equal to X% of combat
> losses

Interesting, but if you start loosing tanks you're
going to face getting your contract terminated so that
your fee doesn't blow the budget.  They are going to
have to be paid in cash or barter, since actual tanks
aren't going to be in the customer's inventory.

> C) Customer shall pay us Ungodly sums as our normal
> fee, which will likely take into account risk of
> loss.

It's going to cost a lot more than most people can
afford.  Think about your average politico's thought
process:  You can afford a light infantry brigade, or
a company or two of tanks.  What are you going to
choose?  Hell, a properly used light infantry brigade
can throw around a company of tanks.  Oh, and the
light infantry brigade can recruit from locals and
produce spare parts for it's weapons in the local
machine shop.  Every final drive, track shoe, road
wheel, etc is going to have to come in from
off-planet.

I see light armor, but the only MBTs for rent are
going to be subsidized by a real nation.

John

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: SG2 Scale Survey Next: Re: Mercs