Prev: I'm back... Next: Mercs

MPs

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 02:34:25 -0500
Subject: MPs

Someone very knowledgeable (someone's
wife?) was discoursing in a most interesting
fashion on MPs. I've known some MPs
(Canadian) and they did (sadly) remind me of
some of the worse examples of the Law
Enforcement breed. (I worked with the RCMP
extensively.... most of them get Orange or Red
chits!).

Anyway, what I wanted someone to clarify for
me is:
What subtasks comprise the LEA (Law
Enforcement Activity) part of the job?
What subtasks comprise the "Combat" part of
the job?

I'm a bit vague on what combat MP postings
involve. I get the impression it includes traffic
direction during large troop movements,
securing rear areas and key points, hunting for
enemy deep penetration raiders, etc.

Would it be sensible in a future military to have
MP functions broken out into "Military Police"
(Combat MPs) and "Military Investigation and
Enforcement Personel" (LEA and CID types)?

Great stuff, really. I've now been given a
number of great scenario ideas for MPs versus
special forces in the rear areas, or prisoner
breakouts, or even the "Battle of the Bulge"
style enemy SF imitating MPs idea.

My thanks to those who contribute their domain
experience (or that of their spouses!). This list
never ceases to amaze me.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: I'm back... Next: Mercs