Prev: [SGII], [DSII] Can't see the forest for the.... Next: Re: [SGII], [DSII] Can't see the forest for the....

Re:[OT] Wehrmacht atrocities was: Experience and Training

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:32:32 +0100
Subject: Re:[OT] Wehrmacht atrocities was: Experience and Training

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>
> > It was not uncommon for medical support elements to
> > be targetted directly.  I can't imagine why it would
> > be any different today or in the future once one
> > side starts to lose and has the capability to
> > selectively target those resources.
>
> Even at the end, Whermacht units didn't resort to
> atrocities.  Those were the province of SS,
> Hitlerjugend, and Werewolf.
>
> John

A lt of people, especially here in Germany want to believe that. But
Wehrmacht units, too, commited atrocities, especially on the Eastern
front.
However, it is true that most Wehrmacht units fought according to the
acknowledged rules of war, and most SS did not.

Not sure what you mean by Hitlerjugend. There was a "Hitlerjugend" SS
division, which, I guess, was as ferocious as the others.
The Hitlerjugend as such, was the Nazi's youth organization, like the
Boy
Scouts or Communist Young Pioneers. They were called out as cannon
fodder in
the last months of the war. As youths may be, a few of them were quite
fanatic. I am not really aware that they are supposed to have had a
reputation for atrocities.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: [SGII], [DSII] Can't see the forest for the.... Next: Re: [SGII], [DSII] Can't see the forest for the....