Prev: Re: [FT] Salvo Missiles with warheads? really? :) Next: Re: Walker signature was: SG-Ortillary

Re: The First Intersentient War

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 22:48:10 +1100
Subject: Re: The First Intersentient War

From: "Noam Izenberg" <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu>

> Tomb said:
> > It would be very problematic for the
> > commanders of Earth's defence to mount deep
> > strikes against the enemy (the political costs
> > would be enormous for such adventurism)

Depends on the size of the forces being risked.
Examples of what I mean by "strategic guerilla warfare":

* The cruise of the SeeAdler in WW1.
* "30 seconds over Tokyo"
* The raids at Telemark and elsewhere

 > I think several Human groups will look to their own histories to
learn
> opposite examples. The case can be made that the Battle of Britain was

> won by the bombing of Berlin by british forces.

Another excellent example.

Read Eric Frank Russel's novel "Wasp" for what I'm talking about. It's
all about economy of force.

> Frankly, if humanity itself is under dire threat, somebody somewhere
is
> going to be looking into turning things around fast, dirty and brutal.

> Find the KV homeworld and lay a continent-melter on it. Hiroshima,
> Ender's Game, any number of other scenarios.

Which could be a good game - but in keeping with the Tuffleyverse, let's
say it's a faction of the KV or a faction of the Humans who have had
their backs to the wall, and have Gone Ballistic. The Kamikaze fleet
carrying the Planetbusters could be opposed by both a Human and a KV
fleet, bent on containing the situation - neither side wanting to
lose 99.99% of their population in Galaxywide Planetbusting.
Shades of "Dr Strangelove".

Prev: Re: [FT] Salvo Missiles with warheads? really? :) Next: Re: Walker signature was: SG-Ortillary