Prev: Re: SG-Ortillary Next: Re: [Not so OT]Military discipline problems

Re: Experience and Training

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:16:04 EST
Subject: Re: Experience and Training

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:43:17 +1100 "Alan and Carmel Brain"
<aebrain@austarmetro.com.au> writes:
>From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
>
>> Active time:  7 years 3 months, 12 days (they counted for me) in
>USAF as
>> medic and (last three in Orthopedic Clinic sh redout) fired M-16
>ONCE
>> during basic in 1971 (four clips) - and they wouldn't even teach/let
>us
>> clean the things afterwards!!!
>
>Bloody Hell. I got more training than that in the school cadet corps
>in the
>early 70s.

Why do you think we 'prissy USAF types' hire people like John to be the
muscle?

Not that we don't have security types designated to defend the bases
(AP's - Air Police - and such) and that guys/gals don't fight to protect
their planes/hospitals/etc. (I knew an LT who claimed she got unofficial
'hands on' experience using a M-60 in a ward during her tour in Vietnam
because the guy using it went down and she had no where to run.)  Seems
the locals were a little better prepared to hit the base then our side
thought.  She said she was rather fond of the Army after the rest of the
'cavalry' arrived to stabilize the situation...

Seriously, when I was in the USAF (August 1971 thru November (?) 1978)
it
was kind of scarey sometimes since I had been a war gamer since 1951 and
knew that sometimes bases weren't 'behind the lines' - can we say
'Spetnatz'? (even if we can't spell it.)

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: SG-Ortillary Next: Re: [Not so OT]Military discipline problems