Prev: [OT] ISO Robert Deakin Next: Re: DLD Unsolicited Testimonial

DLD Unsolicited Testimonial

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:49:27 -0500
Subject: DLD Unsolicited Testimonial

Gents and Ladies,

Just a brief unsolicited review of the Civet grav-
tank in 25-28mm and a comment or two on
DLD (David L Dunn Productions).

The Civet:
A nice model kit. I call it a model kit, even
though it is in resin, because of the large
number of parts. If you like detail, it is a great
kit. Unlike its 15mm counterpart with 15-20
parts, it has ... a lot more! But the instructions
are clear (pictorial as well as textual) and the
model looks to require little or no cleanup.
David has obviously done a lot of work ahead
of shipping time.

The casting of the tank is excellent, and there
are no visible areas of flash from moulding on
mine. I don't think I'll have to touch it with a file,
or if so it will be very, very minimal.

The sculpting is good, and the tank compares
sizewise to the GZG Goliath (or Gladiator, I
always get those confused). The tank should
look very good next to true-25mm figures, and
just a bit smaller next to the 28mm steroid-
enhanced variety. It has way more detail than
its GZG counterpart, due to coming in many
parts, and uses a slightly lighter (though
apparently sturdy and capable of taking good
detail) resin.

The tank also comes with a base, and is from
two (or more) sided moulds - it does not have
a bubbly pour side like the GZG GEVs.

The tank is packed in foam (pieces protected
well) and then when David shipped to me, he
used lots of peanuts around the tank's box
(inside a larger box) so it was well packed. In
that shipment, I got two 25-28mm Civets
(already have 5 or 6 Kamodos waiting for me
in USA at Fort Sarno), a 15mm Kamodo HFS, 4
15mm Kamodo APC, and 2 15mm Civets. (The
15mm kits are destined for Xmas gifts.... makes
me wish I'd started playing in 15mm though...
but too much invested in 25mm now!).

Anyway, turn around time was fast (except for
Canada Post...) and service was friendly despite
the business of the holiday season. David and
Lisa are pretty cool folks to deal with.

I've always been happy with my service from
Jon, from KR, from Nic, from Tony, from the
guys at Ainsty, and now you can add David
from DLD to that list. These are all folks I have
no problem linking to or spreading the good
news about.

Now David, if I can only convince you to make a
grav APC in the same style as the Civet.... and
I'll volunteer to order at least 4 if they are half
decent looking..... <hint hint>

Anyway, the Civet and the Kamodo are great
kits, if not the cheapest. But for the price, you
get very good value, quite awesome detail, and
casting that rivals Armorcast's best in quality.
Well worth your business.

I got a digital cam for Xmas, and once I have
my Civets built and painted, you can bet there
will be pix made available to all. (Damn, might
have to break down and buy that airbrush
now...)

Tomb Raider
Apostle of 25mm, the One True Scale (*VBG!*)
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: [OT] ISO Robert Deakin Next: Re: DLD Unsolicited Testimonial