Prev: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training Next: RE: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:00:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

--- WJAL21@aol.com wrote:

> > managed to never loose a fight.  The Brits had
> units
> > which had been fighting almost continuously since
> > 1940.
>
>   I imagine that could drain anyone's fighting
> spirit.

The interesting thing is that it did so unevenly--some
units could and did fight agressively, others failed
to do so.

In short, there's no way to predict what combat
experience will do to a unit's motivation.  The only
way to tell is hindsight of history--a unit that wins
is described as being "battlehardened veterans" even
if high losses meant that almost none of the original
troops are still in the unit.  One that looses is
described as being "exhausted mentally and physically"
even though they are mostly green replacements that
havn't been shot at either.  Functionally identical
histories up to that point--the only major
differentiation is how they perform in that particular
battle.  A lot depends on leadership, on prior
training, on the army's ability to rotate units back
to a quiet area, etc.

John