Prev: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training Next: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:14:28 +0100
Subject: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

On Romans vs. Germans/Gauls
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@hot.rr.com>
> > I wouldn't call that a training versus experience situation.  That's
> > more superior doctrine, tactics, and technology.
>
> All of witch you can't have without training, their technology was
still
on
> par.

As we do not know that much about the Gauls or Germans, it is difficult
judge how much experience or what kind of training they had.

>  I disagree there are to many examples like Teutoberger where linear
> formation was defeated by the training and preparation of the battle.

The battle of Teutoburger Wald was more of a large-scale ambush in
terrain
where the Romans could not deploy properly. Plus, the battle-site has
been
found and the Germans had prepared the area with field fortifications.
Remember, too, that their leader, Arminius, had served as an officer in
the
Roman army, as, probably, did some of his men. However, they can not
have
all been trained in the Roman manner.

Greetings