Prev: Re: Merry Xmas - the height of me-too-ism! Next: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:23:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training

--- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:

> True.... but it still doesn't deal with the fact
> that the two are separate
> issues.  A unit with poor training but experience
> MAY be better than a
> trained unit with no experience, but there has to be
> a point where a
> lopsided difference in training and discipline will
> outweigh a less lopsided
> difference in experience, and vice versa.  Plus, two
> units with equal
> training will be weighed based on differences in
> experience, and again vice
> versa.

Point of fact:	many Iraqi units, especially
Republican Guard units, had many years of combat
experience fighting against Iranians and Kurdish
insurgents.  Almost none of the members of the US
forces in the Gulf had any combat experience
whatsoever (senior officers had mostly been junior
officers in 'Nam, but that was all up at General
level).  However, when it came right down to doing
their job, the Iraqi's experience was completely
irrelevant because they were not fighting the same
kind of war.  However, the US/UK/Everyone else except
the Syrians and Egyptians had enough training that was
relevant to the situation at hand to pretty much mop
up.

It's not just experience, it's what you're experienced
_at_.  Experience gunning down teenagers running
straight forward across an open field while you sit in
a bunker does not translate well to a battle of
maneuver between tank units.

John

Prev: Re: Merry Xmas - the height of me-too-ism! Next: Re: In A Perfect Game: SG/DS/RPG's - Experience Vs. Training