Prev: Re: Merry Xmas - the height of me-too-ism! Next: Re: Merry Xmas - the height of me-too-ism!

Re: Catholics in Space!

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:45:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Catholics in Space!

--- Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@austarmetro.com.au>
wrote:

> Anyway, here's my opinion: The Anglican (in the US
> Episcopalian) church
> is but pre-Vatican 2 Catholicism without the Pope or
> Priestly celebacy,
> at least in the High form. Post-Vatican 2
> catholicism is way more relaxed,
> laid-back and even a bit touchy-feely new-age-ish.

As a Catholic I knew once but it, "Catholics are just
johnny-come-lately Lutherans."

> Here's a question for you:
> In its 400 year history, How many people in toto did
> the Spanish Inquisition
> burn (or cause to be burnt)?

The seconds point is the important one--IIRC, the
Inquisition couldn't actually execute anyone.  They
had to hand over death penalty cases to the Spanish
courts.

> Comparison with the Ottomans is quite appropriate.

Not a choice I'd want to make.	Although, "Better the
Sultan's Turban than the Cardinal's Hat" was a fairly
popular saying when the Orthodox Church was
considering union with the Latins as an alternative to
conquest of the City by the Turk.

> Then there's the Crusades against the Hussites,

That doesn't count.  Getting kicked around by a bunch
of farmers counts as stupidity, not opression.

> Mother Church. Some people never do get the word -
> take a look at the
> behaviour of some Serbs to some Bosnians.

Who are Orthodox, not Catholic.  Croats are the
Catholic psychos (well, them and the Irish except for
those who are Prod psychos).

John

Prev: Re: Merry Xmas - the height of me-too-ism! Next: Re: Merry Xmas - the height of me-too-ism!