Prev: Re: Australian fires Next: Re: Australian fires

Re: Australian fires

From: aebrain@a... (Alan E Brain)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:47:40 +1100
Subject: Re: Australian fires

> So are there any list members around Sidney?

Sydney.

> Is it as bad there as it sounds on NPR?

It's not good. Here in Canberra, the next suburb was given the "stand by
to evacuate" order over the TV, but they managed to get that blaze under
control. We spent Christmas day at my Mother's place at the other end of
the city, and managed to get there before the fires cut the road - and
came back just as they re-opened the road. The Australian Mint has some
slightly scorched walls, and Government House had its power cut, but
everything's under control here now. The temperature's gone down, and we
had a few spots of rain overnight, which has helped.
In Sydney, especially to the SW and in the Blue Mountains, things aren't
as good, but with a bit of luck all will be well.

Trouble is, the forecast for the weekend is for temperatures up to 45',
and winds over 60 kph. That's 115 F and 40 MPH pretty near. The
Sydney-Hobart yacht race has encountered waterspouts ( tornados-at-sea )
so things could be interesting if we get a willy-willy (small, dry
tornado) during a firestorm on land. A blazing tornado is a fortunately
really rare phenomenon, but conditions are right for it this year.