Prev: Re: [FT] Shields or not Next: RE: [SG] Rash

Re: [FT] Shields or not

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:40:05 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Shields or not

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> I wrote "very little protection", not "no protection". There's a
difference.

Yes, And I still didn't see it.

> >I know the structure is lowish, but I haven't sen any major problems
with
> >a 20% hull 10% armour mix. It seems to do fairly well against PTs.
>
> While the armour will absorb some of the P-torp damage the ship will
start
> taking threshold checks before it loses all its armour if hit by
> concentrated P-torp fire which reduces the armour's effectiveness
(though
> not nearly as much as K-guns would!). The ship's main line of defence
is
> its screens, however - and they are completely powerless against
P-torps.

Correct. Against PTs the armour on my units esentially doubles the
damage required to the hull for threshhold checks for the first two
rows. To me this seems the best course since by the time you're onto
that third row the ship is pretty poor shape.

I'd like to know what you consider a good structure/armour load for a
ship designed against a PT fleet and KV, generally if I was to design
specifically against KV I'd lower the armour amount and increase the
hull.

Yes this particular ships matches against beam fleets with fightrer or
missile support. I tend not to build fleets designed to go against a
specific opposition but ones that should work against any. This ship is
actually fairly "light" in my fleet for double shields.

Prev: Re: [FT] Shields or not Next: RE: [SG] Rash