Prev: Re: [OT] Voting schemes Next: Re: Attitude on the UN

Re: [OT] Voting schemes

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:32:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Voting schemes

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> Most ancient Greek city states
> Ancient Rome in the Republican period
> Most medieval European City states
> 19th century Prussia and, later, Imperial Germany
> until 1918
> IIRC England in the 19th century and earlier had
> property-based
> restrictions on voting (but I may be wrong here).

Between the property restrictions and wierdities of
districting, less than 10% of the adult male English
population at the time of the AmRev were actually
franchised.  US initially had property restrictions,
but 1)practically every adult white male owned
property, and anyone who didn't could acquire it
easily by moving west, and 2)we got rid of them in
about 40 years after independance.

John

Prev: Re: [OT] Voting schemes Next: Re: Attitude on the UN