Prev: Re: S'V Seekers Next: Re: S'V Seekers

Re: S'V Seekers

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:06:15 -0800
Subject: Re: S'V Seekers

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Jaime Tiempo wrote:
>
> >The mass and power to produce a seeker I took out of drone
construction
> >specs. Perhaps 1 mass/2 energy would be better.
> >
> >You have to also take into accound that pods can't be defended
against
> >while a seeker you can hit with PDS. You get longer range, but only a
> >50% chance to hit against 1 PDS.
>
> Gee, what a penalty. Only a 50% chance to hit against 1 PDS, at any
range
> up to 60mu from the launch point, no matter the facing of the
mothership
> when the "seeker" is launched.

> The Lance Pod, which costs the same amount of bio-mass and three times
as
> much energy to launch, gets a 50% or better chance to hit out to range
> *12mu* - provided, of course, that you managed to point its single-arc
> launcher in the right direction to begin with.

Which I think is underpowered. Why you would ever use a lance pod
escapes me.

> >Ships that are designed as missile barges can launch more MT missiles
> >then a ship of equal mass can produce seekers.
>
> Excuse my french, but this is bull.
>
> >It takes 2 mass to use a MT missile, It takes 3 mass for the drone
womb, 1
> >mass for the seeker, and whatever energy is finalised on. That's
already
> >more mass.
>
> Six MTMs = 12 Mass, 36 pts
> Six "seekers" + 1 Drone Womb = 9 Mass, 21 pts
+ 6 mass for the generators if you go with 1 power, which won't probably
be the final one. This makes it a minimum of 15 mass to get off 6
seekers.

> >The deciding factor with the envergy cost is how much of a penalty
the SV
> >will take to be able to produce them.
>
> Unless you attempt to grow the "seekers" when the enemy is already
within
> weapons range, the energy cost is virtually irrelevant. You don't have
much
> else to spend the energy on anyway - no need for radical maneuvers
that far
> away from the enemy, no need for defences, and even vast amounts of
energy
> put into Stinger nodes won't produce much effect.

Yes but you need so many power points to produce something. You can only
put so many generators on at once, so you're strike capabilities per
salvo is limited to how much power you have.

> >Current SV problems?I'm not sure what they are. The [Official]
changes
> >that were made to the SV fixed what I considered the unbalancing
> >aspects.
>
> Your "seekers" would put the unbalances right back.

I don't think they will once the final stats are hammered out. What I
consider the SV's problem is that tactically, they're limited to their
stingers. They can't produce drones in enough quantities, fast enough to
keep pace with human launches, and they don't have any long range
weapons, and their heavy ordinance weapons are only good at suicide
range. All this leaves you with nothing but sitting back and sniping
with stingers. SV can't afford to get in close since once they take one
row of damamge they're working at a loss of 25%, 50% if they try and fix
the generator. SV have a lot of punch at the begining but they cripple
quickly and easily.

Prev: Re: S'V Seekers Next: Re: S'V Seekers