Prev: Re: Attitude on the UN Next: Re: S'V Seekers

Re: [FT]Random Musings

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:35:39 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT]Random Musings

Roger Burton-West replied to Alan Brain:

 >>Technology Rating
 >
 >This is probably reasonable. But I continue to dislike mixed-tech on
 >aesthetic grounds, I'm afraid.

This is reasonable IN THE "CANON" GZGVERSE ONLY.

If OTOH you want to fight, say, Renegade Legion battles, you pretty much

*have* to mix tech: long-ranged beam weapons which can fire at both
ships
and fighters (Phalon pulsers), missiles which damage all ships in the
target volume (closest match is PBs, though the WotW anti-matter SMRs
would
be better still), shields which are active all the time and don't
interfere
with your own shooting (human screens), thick armour (Phalon
multi-layered
shells) and huge hyper-velocity mass projectors (Kra'Vak K-guns) - all
used
on the same ship. Oh, and all of it powered by something similar to a
SV-style "limited energy available" power plant...

In other backgrounds other tech combinations are "canon", eg. the Nova
Cannon and Waveguns in Anime settings (neither of these two is currently

part of the GZGverse "canon").

 >>1. Fighters and Missiles - missiles that home in on targets and
fighters
 >>that attack target ships or fighter groups ( ie the target lies
within
6"/3"
 >>after movement) are placed next to the target. Their position during
the
 >>attack is deemed to be the target's position.

This is IMO a bad idea, particularly from a Phalon point of view - both
due
to their limited-arc point defences and to the reduced value of PBLs for

anti-missile work (see below).

 >>Consequences:
 >>This is a change insamuch as fighters now no longer have facing,
 >
 >As far as I can see from FB1, this is the case anyway.

Correct.

 >>and that fighter vs fighter combat always involves a dogfight.
 >
 >Why is this a good thing?

It simplifies screening. Whether that is good or bad depends on your
point
of view as well as on what other rule changes you implement together
with
the above one.

 >>Also, all fighters "escorting" the target ship are coincident, and a
dogfight will >>ensue if there are any.

 >Why is this necessary when we already have screening fighters?

It is sort-of-necessary because it is so easy to neutralize the
screening
fighters in the current system. However, since fighters in a dogfight
can't
attack targets outside the dogfight, no units *outside* the dogfight can

fire at the fighters *in* the dogfight, and starships can't participate
in
dogfights under the current rules, Alan's proposal as it currently
stands
also means that:

1) one single screening fighter is sufficient to make the screened ship
*completely immune* to enemy fighter attacks for one turn (all attacking

fighters are locked up in a dogfight with the screening fighters and
therefore aren't allowed to attack any target outside the dogfight), and

2) neither the screened ship nor any nearby ADFC units are allowed to
use
their PDSs to engage the attacking fighters, because the friendly
screening
fighters get in the way.I'm not sure that either of these effects are
intentional.

 >>Finally, the Phalon Plasma Ball will be a sovereign protection
against
fighters
 >>and missiles - take 1D6 (+) damage and become immune - if they don't
shoot up
 >>the plasma ball.

"Sovereign protection"? Alan - you haven't tried this out on the table
yet,
have you...?

With the current rules, it is possible - if you are skilled enough to
know
where your ships are going and the enemy doesn't put his missiles right
into that position - to place anti-missile plasma bolts in such a way
that
they nail the missiles without harming your own ships. Not entirely
trivial, but quite possible. Even if you aren't skilled enough to know
where your own ships will end up, you're guaranteed to hit those
missiles
which were launched before you launched your plasma bolt - though in
this
case you *risk* hitting your own ships in the process.

The above proposal means that you *must* - you don't *risk* it, you
*have
to* - hit your own ships with the PB in order to protect them from
missile
attack - and if you don't know where your own ships will end up, you
risk
*missing* the missiles as well.

Dunno about you, but I don't consider going from [guaranteed missile
kill +
possible hit on your own ships] to [possible missile kill + possible hit
on
your own ships] to be an improvement! Quite the contrary, in fact.

(Side note: You need a CL (or Phalon Dinth-class "DDH", which is for all

intents and purposes a CL) or bigger to be able to do this trick even
once
with any degree of safety - and CLs usually can't do it more than once
before they start to take internal damage. DDs and smaller ships
generally
find 1D6 damage to be a quite nasty experience, sometimes even lethal.)

Against fighters PBs give very little protection, because the fighters
make
their secondary move before they commit to an attack - which means that
they'll just refrain from attacking any target covered by a plasma bolt.

PBs can keep the fighters away for one turn (if you hit your own ships
with
the PB) or force them to burn an endurance point to avoid destruction
(if
the PB hit the fighters' pre-secondary-move position). Unfortunately
each
D6 of damage inflicted on your own ships is roughly equal to one
successful
fighter squadron attack opposed by PDS/Pulsers - so unless there are a
LOT
of fighters and only a few of your ships hit by a weak plasma bolt, or
the
fighters are in a hurry and *have* to inflict damage NOW, they'll be
quite
happy to let you attrit your own ships in this way.

 >>2. At the time of PDS firing, any ADAF-equipped ship may fire at any
fighter
 >>or missile within 6". This means that an ADAF ship effectively
"escorts"
all
 >>ships within 6".

Instead of escorting just one ship within 6" per ADFC, which is the
current
rule.

 >>Consequences:
 >>Simplification of ADAF rules. It also means that ADAF ships can fire
at any
 >>non-attacking fighters or missiles within 6", so can effectively be
 >>Anti-Fighter weapons when screening at a distance.
 >
 >I do miss the ability that ADAFs used to have, of firing at fighters
in
 >free space. Under FB1/FB2, as far as I can see, the only way humans
have
 >of stopping fighters when those fighters aren't attacking is to send
 >more fighters after them.

Keep in mind that the FT2 ADAF was pretty big - 3 Mass for a single
anti-fighter shot per turn. In FB terms this is equivalent to giving
each
ADFC the ability to direct ONE PDS in long-range mode - which is
something
quite different from Alan's giving a single ADFC the ability to direct
ANY
number of PDSs against ALL unengaged fighter/missile targets within 6".
agree that something like this makes sense, but IMO this proposal makes
ADFC *way* too powerful for its cost.

 >>3. Up to 6 fighter groups may attack any one target per turn. [PSB
Section -
 >>they get in each other's way, and it doesn't matter much how large
the
 >>target is - maybe change this to "up to 1000 mass or part thereof"]
 >
 >Umph. I can see your reasoning, but I really hate this sort of
arbitrary
 >limit.

Agreed. Also, I somehow find it a bit odd (in the "Y-wing rear gunners
use
WW2 targetting techniques" way) that you can't coordinate more than 36
fighters with weapon ranges measuring in tens or hundreds of miles to
attack the same target over a period of several minutes...

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Attitude on the UN Next: Re: S'V Seekers