Prev: Re: Weap-Def Archive Next: Re: Attitude on the UN

Re: S'V Seekers

From: Kevin Walker <sage@c...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 01:13:27 -0600
Subject: Re: S'V Seekers

On Monday, December 10, 2001, at 07:54 PM, Jaime Tiampo wrote:

> Sa'vasku Seeker:
>
> Production:
> * Uses a drone womb to produce
> * Power comes out of repair
> * Requires 1 biomass per seeker
> * Requires 1 power per seeker
> * Can produce up to 6 seekers per womb

I'd go with at least 2 biomass and 3 to 4 energy.  The lance pod cost 1
mass and 3 energy per shot and although they penetrate armor a little
bit better on odds than does a pulse torp it's range and hit numbers are

downgraded.  My thinking along adapting weapons that already exist to SV

use is to cost the same or a little more mass with the energy cost being

a penalty for the greatly increased flexibility that SV typically
enjoy.	Just my 2 cents though.

> Attack:
> * Move of 24mu per turn
> * Flight endurance of 3 turns
> * Can use 1 endurance to make secondary movement
> * Can attack any ship within 3mu (vector) 6mu (cinematic)

The move of 24mu is 6 above the original MT Missile but then again
things have changed with FT2.5 (FB1 & 2).  The secondary move concerns
me though.  No other seeking weapon has this ability...yet.

> Warhead Types:
> * Explosive - 2D6 Damage
> * Needle - Damages one system of choice

Before I go into my further thoughts on this idea let me preface things
by saying that since MT missiles are not balanced yet for the FB stuff
balancing this idea with MT missiles as they stand is probably an
exercise in futility.  However, that said I go on.  The concern I have
here is SV carrier like ships launching a horde of these things.  2
drone wombs would result in 12 seekers, quite the swarm.  Since they
have a secondary move they'll never miss unless they're launch at the
wrong time - very little guess or out thinking of the opponent is
necessary.  Since it's been a while since I've dealt with MT missiles
and the issues brought up by the FB rules I could be wrong here - are MT

missiles treated individually?	If they are they missile then defense
can be a crap shot, resulting in even good defenses missing a target or
two.

We could compare these to SV fighters as well but there are more
differences and thus a harder comparison to gauge.

> ----------------------------
>
> EMP Pod:
> * 1 mass
> * 5 energy
> * Causes first level thresholds on target ship's systems

Interesting.  Do shields affect them as they do against MT EMP missiles?

> -----------------------------
>
> Plasma Burst Pod:
> * 1 mass
> * 5 energy per size
> * 24mu range withing arc of launcher
> * Fires in ordinance phase
> * Acts like a Phalon Plasma bolt of size equal to energy/5

How about making the mass cost 1 per size.  The balancing of this would
be easier then.  Otherwise it's hard to balance the cost of these ship
construction wise if 1 mass can be used to make a huge PB - and as with
SV stingers some huge sized PBs could result - 50 energy for a size 10 -

ouch!

I hope these comments come across as helpful.  I can see a possible
place for them but I tend to favor being conservative on costs and
effects lest FT become a game of who's got the latest new weapon.  Of
course I'm still hoping we can come to a good solution for the current
SV problems.  ;-)

Later,

Kevin Walker
Horizon Concepts, Inc.
Macintosh & Windows Development
Miniature Painting & Sculpting

Prev: Re: Weap-Def Archive Next: Re: Attitude on the UN