Prev: RE: Cloaking Device Next: Weap-Def Archive

Re: Attitude on the UN

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:08:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Attitude on the UN

--- "Z. Lakel" <zlakel@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Speaking of the UN, what are the GZG-verse nations'
> (canon, non-canon, and Byzantine) attitudes towards
> both the UN and its subsidiary, the UNSC?  For that
> matter, what's the UN's attitude about itsself?

Well, since I was specifically asked, IMU:

Superpowers (Big Four) support the UN because it
modertates superpower conflict and provides them a
publicly acceptable forum.

Second-Tier powers (Netherlands, Romanovs, FCT, PAU,
IC) generally consider UN the way the Big Four keep
themselves the Big Four.

Minor States (SK, ScanFed, et al) like the UN because
it's the only way they have a voice.

Special Cases:
New Israel is very aware that the UN has a historical
record of Anti-Semetism and just barely tolerates
them.

New Roman Empire officially considers the UN to be "An
assembly of the Barbarian Kingdoms" and forbids it's
citizens from taking UN positions.  The NRE handles UN
dues on a sporadic basis, based on how hard pressed
they are in other areas, and refers to the dues as
"Subsidies for Misc. Barbarian States" in it's annual
budget report.	NRE officially denies UN jurisdiction
over NRE territory and has fought several sharp
engagements.  In 2193, in response to the UN's demand
that all "colonial fleets" return to Terra to defend
it, the NRE severs relations with the UN and places
all UN employees and citizens on robotic freighters
with a course set for Terra.  The freighters are
escorted by Task Force Nicholas V[*], a small group
built around a cruiser squadron which has orders to
place itself under the OPCON of the UNSC, but to avoid
decisive engagement and withdraw if the alternative is
destruction.

UN/UNSC:  UN is both an organization and a state.
Employees of the UN and various aid organization may
elect for UN citizenship.  There are UN colonies,
typically small settlements on planets primarily owned
by other nations.

John
[*] 10 point question to identify, Don, Laserlight,
and Tom Barclay are disqualified--it'd be too obvious
to y'all.

Prev: RE: Cloaking Device Next: Weap-Def Archive