Prev: Re: FMA:BN Next: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

Re: B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 06:00:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: B'n FMA (and a comment on Captains)

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

> Oh, and why Marines?
> A rapidly deployable force where all members
> are fundamentally capable of operating as
> infantry in a pinch and that is capable of being
> inserted to take and hold ground while
> conventional Army forces are being deployed
> just seems to make sense. It takes a while to
> get M1s to a battlefield. Having a range of
> deployable options, including MEUs, just makes
> sense.

But the only reason we have them as a seperate branch
of service is as a hold-over from when they performed
real shipboard functions.

Realistically, anything the Marines can do, the
Airborne or conventional light infantry units can do.

John

Prev: Re: FMA:BN Next: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions