Prev: Re: FMA Battalion Next: Good URL for Military Rank

Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:22:33 -0800
Subject: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

Roger Books wrote:

>That kind of begs the question "Why do we have Marines?"
>I thought it was because there were many shipboard security
>duties that sailors weren't qualified to fill.  They
>opted out of that in the late '80s.  Now I don't see any
>special skills required that regular army doesn't have.
>
>Those security duties?  Sailors with firearms.  Scary
>thought.

As for sailors with Firearms:  Back in my dad's day, that wasn't as
scary a
concept.  While at home port in San Diego, his ship, along with many
others,
was the frequent target of SEAL practice "Raids".  My dad's destroyer
was
proud of their rep as a tight ship, and they often foiled the SEALS when

larger ships were regularly embarassed.

Tradition.
Any Marine will point out that the Marine Corps was the first branch of
the
US Military officially commissioned by Congress.  They have a great
tradition and it would be sad to see it go.

For another thing, they definitely fill a niche.  Granted, the Army has
several rapidly deployable units, but the entire USMC is supposed to be
so.
And the MEU's and their Navy rides guarantee that there are several out
there poised to go beforehand.

Brian B2

"The Irish are the only race of people on Earth for which psychoanalysis
is
of no use."

				 - S. Freud

Prev: Re: FMA Battalion Next: Good URL for Military Rank