Prev: Re: Bugs and flight Next: Re: Unsubscribing

Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 20:15:23 EST
Subject: Re: [OT] A variety of terminology/history questions

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:31:47 -0500 "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>
writes:
<snip>
>4) (USMC) Marines are "Marines", not "Soldiers". Soldiers are Army. I
>know Marines refer to the Army (or have) as "Doggies" (or <expletive>
>Doggies). I have heard Army soldiers called "Dog Soldiers" before.
>Where
>did this term originate? Is there a historical antecedent? Is it still
>true (that Marines refer to Army this way)?

I should know this but don't except the Dog Soldier part.  But it might
not be the same thing.

1) WW2 soldiers, IIRC, were called Dogfaces?  Why? Sorry, beats me.

2)One or more of the Plains indians (First Americans/Native Americans/or
their nation's word for some version of "The People" - take your PC
pick.)

Some warrior societies	(age graded or non-age graded)	were "Dog
soldiers."

Black foot (Brave Dogs)
Hidatsa (Little Dogs)
Cheyenne (Dogs)
Piegans (Brave Dogs)
Crow (Big Dog)

Above skimmed from Thomas Mails "The Mystic Warrior of the Plains" _ a
great resource but 600 plus pages of an approximately 18" x 12" x 3"
hardback.  Have never 'read it' like a novel, just dive in for
information at times.  Alas, Plains Indians rate in interest  after
South
East, California (what little there is), and Pacific North West
tribes/nations.

But this is heading off topic.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com