Prev: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC) Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?

Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:15:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC)

> > Esprit de corps and regimental history (plus a good
> > dose of in-your-face noncoms) get them
> > to the fight and blind panic will keep them there,

Blind panic does *not* make for effective soldiers.

> > but only so long as they do not realise that following orders is
not likely
> > to keep them alive.

Following orders keeps you alive....as long as the rest of your units
are also following their orders.  What gets you killed is when you
follow orders and your flankers don't.	Or when you don't, but you
bugged out a little late.  Or a little early.  Or in the wrong
direction.  Or too slowly, etc.

One reason the Israelis constantly whip the Arabs is the Israelis have
the teamwork down pat ("I'll die to protect my buddies") and the Arabs
have an "every man for himself" attitude.  The Israelis are willing to
die, so they don't; the Arabs aren't, so they do.

Prev: Re: Why we fight (there was an old B&W movie by that name IIRC) Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?