Prev: [OT] WWII rules? Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?

Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:38:54 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

----- Original Message -----
> The real problem for doing such a thing with nanites is the computing
> capapcity of the nanites.
>
> Even with quantum computers (single atoms used to store bits), the
nanites
> would have limited capacity for computing and storage of instructions.
>
> To do something as complicated as building power armor, they would
have to
> either be released in stages (each type preforming a specific task) or
be
> directed from outside (coordinating the millions of individual
nanites).

Well, organisms as complex as Homo Sapiens develop from a single cell
that
stores all the required information in its nucleus. I wouldn't think
that
assembling a suit of power armour is more complex than that.

> Also all of the raw materials (at least elements, even if your nanites
can
> asseble molecules). I would expect finding the fuel to power the
powerarmor
> would be difficult. Even if you can fuse hydrogen at cool tempratures,
you
> would still need a large amount of power to start the process.

A more serious objection, in my view.

> And the last drawback would be time. How long would it take a couple
tubes
> of nanites (solar powered, I assume, so that no energy input is
required)
> assemble, molecule by molecule, a set of powerarmor? Weeks at the
fastest,
> months or years more likely.

My opinion, too.

> On the other hand, nanites would be good for making slabs of armor
(even
> sandwiched, molecule thin layered, armor). And would be extreemly
useful
for
> refining ores (100% pure plutonium).

Err... Plutonium does not occur naturally on Earth, and is rather
unlikely
elsewhere. Uranium, even of specific isotope, yes. The question here
too, is
efficiency and time constraints.

Are Nanites supposed to be able to reproduce ?

Greetings

Prev: [OT] WWII rules? Next: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again?