Prev: RE: [SG]The Nanite Revolution (and an [FT] macro side-bar) Next: Re: Bugs and flight

Re: Bugs and flight was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:11:39 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Bugs and flight was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:54:45 +0000 Roger Burton West
<roger@firedrake.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:14:49PM -0500, Glenn M Wilson wrote:
>> The Bumblebee supposedly was 'proven' by an engineer to be incapable
of flight until another (smarter) Engineer examined the Bumble bee not
as an airplane but a 'helicopter'  model.  At least that is the urban
myth I was taught... <grin> <<

> Pretty much - if you try to analyse it as a fixed-wing vehicle, it
doesn't work. Then again, anyone who's _seen_ a bumblebee could tell
you it isn't a fixed-wing vehicle... <

References, citations, etc., please! I want to see the "proof" of this.
Frankly, after years of fruitless searching, I'm of the opinion that
there never was such an analysis, and the whole thing was thought up by
neo-Luddites to discredit "scientists" (Glenn's mention of engineers
is the first time I've heard of the profession being involved in this).

Phil
----
(Dr) P.A. Atcliffe
Senior Lecturer, Aeronautics
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
University of the West of England, Bristol
Phone: +44 (0)117 344 2496
Fax:   +44 (0)117 344 3800

Prev: RE: [SG]The Nanite Revolution (and an [FT] macro side-bar) Next: Re: Bugs and flight