Prev: Re: [OT] What mailing list is this again? Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Bugs and flight was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 23:14:49 EST
Subject: Bugs and flight was Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:13:45 +1100  Beth.Fulton@csiro.au writes:
>G'day,
>
>> I know about BumbleBees and their aerodynamics but Butterfly Flight
>> Phenomenon?
>
>The lift to thrust ratio and other features of the take-off/landing
>and
>short flight dynamics of some insects (e.g. butterflies) break the
>rules of
>flight/energy use etc as they're understood by current engineers and
>physicts.... the insects shouldn't be able to do it they way they do,
>but
>they obviously do ;)
>
>Cheers
>
>Beth

The Bumble bee supposedly was 'proven' by an engineer to be incapable of
flight until another (smarter) Engineer examined the Bumble bee not as
an
airplane but a 'helicopter'  model.  At least that is the urban myth I
was taught... <grin>

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com