Prev: Re[2]: New baby girl Next: Re: Bridges

NAC: Will it ever stop? :)

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:38:14 -0500
Subject: NAC: Will it ever stop? :)

This will be my last post on this subject I think.
Whereas I don't agree with some of the
Listbroderbund that it is overdue to die (quite
frankly, with the debate going on it, it is
arguably one of the more active debates in a
while) or that it is OT (I find it far more
interesting than the mathematical mechanistic
debates on WotW, no offense intended), out of
respect for their sensibilities, I'll conclude after
this reply. And suggest everyone consider my
reply with the "Seal of Atkinson" (75% Tongue-
in-cheek, your guess to the 75%).

Brian replied to me:  (My replies ot him are
[Tomb])
>this would probably only be an attitude
that the
>NAC powers-that-be would work around.

I seriously doubt it.  Sadly, it's so popular
to lampoon
Americans these days, no one really takes
time to pay
attention to what we're really like.

[Tomb] Without rancor, I think that is also
true of many Americans.

 I wonder if anyone who
holds to the American NAC nobility line
actually understands
just how deeply ingrained in the American
psyche is the
resistance to any sort of imposed
perrage/nobility/monarchy.

[Tomb] I did suggest that there would be
dissidents. I also humbly submit that the
US is an extremely varied country, in terms
of popular attitudes, so I'd resist making
such patriotic and simplistic generalizations
about what "Americans" think anymore
than I (as a Canuck) would feel
comfortable speaking for "Canadians".
Thirdly, I finally submit that after a
crushing conflict like a civil-war fought with
the kind of weapons available in the day, I
suspect many of the "patriots" on both
sides will be dead and many of the
remaining people will show a weariness for
war and a fondness for _ANY_ power that
can restore stability. I'm not sure what the
raw population losses are, but I'd guess in
the tens of millions perhaps.

And from where is this land acquired?

[Tomb] Existing royal estates, perhaps
existing federal lands (which cease to be
federal once the federal government
ceases to exist), and on colonies mostly.
I'm not going to recite the entire logic, but
Traveller(TM) used a nobility system to
help hold together an empire where instant
communication was infeasible across
interstellar distances and it was felt that
having people in leadership positions with a
strong personal stake in things had a lot to
do with maintaining a good quality of
governance.

 Try taking someone's
property to give it to Lord Fauntleroy of
Denver, and see how fast the buckshot
flies.

[Tomb] Arguably, most of it already _flew_
in the 2ACW.

 Try annexing it from a national forest, and
you have a whole different set of
protesters.

[Tomb] This happens in any event.

for public
>service (always a good thing to
encourage and
>no different than granting land for military
>service, a time honoured tradition).

One not used in America in a LONG time.

[Tomb] You guys wanted pioneers, you
granted land. If you guys needed motivated
soldiers and it was thought a land grant
would help, you'd probably do it just like
anyone else. Land grants for service were
awesome in the days when
land==prosperity==power. Nowadays,
that relationship isn't so great so it might
be of lesser, but still not zero, utility.

I'm not talking about insurgent movements.
 I'm talking about us ever accepting the
arrangements in the first place.

[Tomb] Let us take a worst-case
projection, unsupported but not
unsupportable, that the US 2 ACW is very
violent. You have a nation with lots of NBC
weapons, heavy conventional military, and
lots of armed groups. High casualties
perhaps? What if the US was reduced (as
Afghanistan has been) from a
technologically advanced culture (I've seen
pictures of Kabul pre-invasion of the USSR
and today... same streets but that is barely
discernable since bits of it are nothing but
rubble) to a sub-subsistence level situation.
This is admittedly worst case. But in that
case, people want to eat and not die.
Those concerns FAR outweigh arguing over
the non-existent intricacies of the non-
existent government.

 Unless of course, the "Invitation" to come
help end the Civil war was the same kind of
"Invitation" the Afghans gave the Soviets.

[Tomb] Historical note: It is referred to as
a "Pacification".

 In which case, it would be interesting to
see the reception for the first Brit troops
that attended the party they were "invited"
to.  SAS putting down US insurgents is one
thing.	It would be interesting to see the
SAS put down insurgents that included
Rangers, SEALS, Spec.
Forces, etc.

[Tomb] Yep. It would be interesting to see
the Brit troops arrive with food packets to
feed the starving, to restore the rule of law
to a lawless land with bands of heavily
armed thugs (since we all know how much
'Mericans love their guns!) roaming around
enforcing their will (whatever that may be),
etc. I'm not saying this _IS_ what the case
is, because as Adrian has pointed out it
isn't really clear, but it _might_ be the
case. In this instance, I don't think I have
to imagine that the bulk of the (surviving)
people would gladly welcome in anyone
who restored anything akin to law and
order.

And the British have a
>certain talent (fails at times, but far
better than
>their peers in this regard) at maintaining
a light
>hand in the Colonial power game (

Tell that to Mahatma Gandhi.

[Tomb]: What part of "fails at times" was
hard to read? There have been some bad
examples. But contrast the UK's pullout
from its colonies to that of the French or
Dutch and one has to give them credit in
most cases. The French tendency is to stay
about a decade or two past their welcome
really coming to a crashing halt.

Brian said:
Any America so torn down and destroyed
would be a nuclear
wasteland not worth owning to begin with.
That's the only
way I see the NAC as canon has it existing.

[Tomb] A few crackpots setting off some
nukes and NBC weapons could really wreck
a lot of the US with accompanying plagues
and whatnot and inter-force conflicts in the
military plus all the civil forces raging riot.
But, rather than raging on the Americans,
why don't we also not rag on Canadians or
Brits? There is just the chance that,
although it makes no economic sense,
recovering and rebuilding a shattered
America is something these nations would
want to do out of a kinship for the
Americans (which we are told we
constantly lampoon and fail to
understand....) and basic human decency.
Add to that having a large destabilized
region such as the USA might well make
the present day concern about Afghanistan
as a terrorist spawning ground seem
trivial.... so the Brits and Canucks helping
out probably is both an expedient and
humanitarian venture.

>You are, of course, free to toss this out.

Actually, that's a good idea.

[Tomb] And a number of people have done
so. I don't believe it is plausible in the
slightest (canon history) and not LEAST
because of the NAC. The ESU, the IF, etc.
are all very unlikely. OTOH, I decided it
was a game I wanted to play with people
and the most common vector was canon.
So I now consider how canon might have
come about, given the premise that it
_has_.

All of which merely reinforces my sense of
urgency in
developing a non-canon universe.

[Tomb] Which is perfectly sensible. Your
pocket universe may be more realistic or at
least more in line with your personal
sensibiities (or both) than what Jon T.
developed. Frankly, as a businessman, Jon
T could probably give two hoots what you
do as long as you buy his games and his
lead guys. Everything else is trappings. I'm
not defending the canon history - the
underlying assumption is that it _is_ and
after that, the question becomes how could
it be? And with many people of equally
strong patriotic anti-monarchist sentiments
as yourself and John A, there must be
compelling reasons for something different
to have been accepted. But never, ever sell
short history. America was, for some part
of its time, British. The original rebels were
mostly former Englishmen. Imagine if the
Crown had had more foresight and a lighter
grip? 1775-76 might never have played out
as it did. Preposterous? Hardly. History is
made up of a lot of little decision points
and if a major one had went slightly
differently, all that follows may have been
quite different as things build upon past
things. Canon is _unlikely_ but not
impossible (now, it is admittedly a
collection of unlikely events that together
yield a rather very unlikely end
combination) and I see making it work a
thought excercise.

Tomb
PS - I have some American family (Uncle).
I have many American friends and I've
probably taken more American history than
most Americans have Canadian history,
despite the fact we're your largest trading
partner and have fought with you in all the
major wars after 1776 IIRC. I've observed
more similarity between Alberta Farmers
and North Dakota farmers than either have
with their federal capital's people. If I
lampoon an American, it is with the same
spirit I lampoon my Scots ancestors or my
Canadian fellow citizens or a member of my
own family - I frankly think most of the
Western Countries share such similar
culture and values that it is an excercise in
sophistry to try to create meaningful
differences. That is probably why I lampoon
Scots, English, Irish (but not the Welsh, oh
no, never the Welsh), French (and French-
Canadians), Americans, Aussies, and Kiwis
all to about the same extent - I sort of
think of them as extended family. It is not
in a spirit of smallness, pettiness or
jealousy, just good natured amusement
most of the time. The fact that people can
be sensitive to these proddings is of
unceasing amazement. If you can't laugh at
yourself and your friends, you must live a
humorless life. :)  YMMV.

Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re[2]: New baby girl Next: Re: Bridges