Prev: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution (and an [FT] macro side-bar) Next: Re: Nobility.... or not....

Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 06:14:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution

--- Christopher Downes-Ward
<Christopher_Downes-Ward@acuma.co.uk> wrote:
> The four tourists stopped their hover jeep next to
> the old scrapheap, each
> of them took out a tube of toothpaste an dropped in
> on the ground, they then
> used their hand held computers to send the tubes a
> signal. The toothpaste
> tubes seemed to dissolve into the ground which then
> began to writhe. Slowly
> a suit of powered armour emerged appearing as if by
> magic. Climbing into
> their suits the "tourists" set off for the nearby
> spaceport.
>
> Well that's one possibility anyway. I could also see
> nanites making large
> differences to logistics. I can't see them removing
> the need for a logistics
> tail as some substances are still going to be rare.

If the "Nanite Revolution" goes to the limits that
theorists claim it will, your metaphor will be
apt--magic.  At which point we aren't playing SG or
DSII, we're playing Duelling Nanites--because sure as
puppies are cute, there will be counter-nano, and
killer nano, and hunter nano, and anti-nano-nano, and
anti-anti-nano-nano.  Which is completely incompatible
with the rules of the game as written.

Some rabbit holes aren't worth chasing down.

John

Prev: Re: [SG]The Nanite Revolution (and an [FT] macro side-bar) Next: Re: Nobility.... or not....