Prev: Re: Unit pride was RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units Next: RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Back to the Future History was:Re: silly questions re national/unit pride

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:44:23 +1100
Subject: Back to the Future History was:Re: silly questions re national/unit pride

At 01:59  3/12/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm only going to make one more set of comments, and then drop this.
It's
>going nowhere.
>
>Regarding Beth et al's Aussie comments:
>
>It's a shame that US-bashing is so big in Australia, considering how
much
>WE like YOU folks.  It smacks a bit of a case of the
>Something-to-proves.  And it's even sadder that you would trust ANY
media
>to defin us.  If I listened to OUR media, I'd think all Strines were
>either lazy, beer-guzzling types with a penchant for leather vests and
>croc-tooth decorated hats, or Steve Irwinesque psychos with a hting for

>fondling Mambas ("Crikey, isn't he a beauty!  He doesn't wanna hurt me,
he
>just wants left alone, that's why I'm manhandling him like a two bit
>hooker!")  I'm smart enough to understand the difference between
reality
>and the media.  It'd be nice if we were accorded the same courtesy.

Seriously, you guys need to develop a sense of humour. You may be smart
enough to understand reality and the media, though these days I think
you
will find a lot of people can't see any difference between the two :)
but
remember  Laughing at ourselves is a national pastime here so we do
until
others as we do to ourselves ;)

As for 'The Crocodile Hunter', he tried it on here and everyone thought
"What a WANKER!" so he went state side and now years later he's finally
back on our TV screens thanks to 'US Cultural Imperialism' (ie: he was
exported back at us) and you wonder why we don't like you
:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

>As for our elections, understand how big the country is
population-wise,
>and how many states fall under the federal gov't.  There's an issue of
>scale to consider.  And, while it does require money and connections,
it
>is still possible for someone in America to acquire these things, even
if
>it takes a generation for the influence to kick in once they did (How
many
>of our rich presidents are descended by only a couple generations from
the
>poor?)

This is sort getting away with itself, the point I made was that you do
indeed have 'landed gentry' and that's where the people who run the show

come from.

>As for the NAC controversy, I'm not disputing the NAC.   But the Canon
>only says we were rejoined, it doesn't say we were dragged in in
>chains.  Tomb asked us to find ways to make the NAC work, and as Mr.
>Atkinson pointed out, it would most likely include a good deal of
>concessions to the Americans.

Back to the interesting stuff. I tend to think the assumption that the
USA
will be in any state to negotiate concessions to be part of the NAC a
bit
of wishful thinking. The timeline says basically the US implodes and
there's civil war, right?. So USA of today no longer exsits, there would
be
a collection states allying and fighting with each other and Gen.
Parham's
military government. Also the creation of the AC (later the NAC) doesn't

happen overnight there's a eight year period between the assassination
of
the US President and the start of the 15 year War of the Americas
between
the newly formed AC and LLAR. That's pently of time for  all sorts of
things to happen, for instance what will happen to the cities in the
mid-west which are largely dependent on oil for heating in winter.
What's
going to happen once there's no more oil to heat the population's homes?

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.