Prev: RE: Nobility.... or not.... Next: RE: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

RE: Nobility.... or not....

From: "Iain Davidson" <iain@a...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:10:31 -0000
Subject: RE: Nobility.... or not....

<<But as someone else has said the land belongs to the person, not the
title. >>

I beg to disagree, your honour.  With hereditary peerages, the eldest
son
(may be eldest child in these enlightened times) usually gains the
estate
with the title on his father's death. Of course, with death duties being
what they are, these may well be some attempt to offset these by the
Earl,
Baron, Duke or whatever passing control of some of the estate over
before
his death (good experience if nothing else); however the title itself
cannot
be transferred in this way.

Life peerages (the only sort that get handed out these days) only lasts
for
the lifetime of the person it is given to and the children do not
inherit
it.

Cheers,
   Iain.