Prev: RE: [Way, way OT] Beer (was Re: Questions...) Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Re: [Way, way OT] Beer (was Re: Questions...)

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:09:20 +0000
Subject: Re: [Way, way OT] Beer (was Re: Questions...)

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:04:15PM -0800, Brian Bilderback wrote:

>To bring this back on-topic, if that's possible at all, I'm considering
the
>possibility that on other planets, as we colonize them, we'll be
finding new
>edible plants (Sources of sugars to a brewer/distiller), with new
flavors,
>and thus new alchoholic beverages preferred by the populaces of those
>worldss.  Might make interesting background material for people to add.

Seems plausible - any plant that's edible by Terrans and contains sugar
is
likely to be fermentable by Terran yeast. We probably won't be lucky
enough to find a replacement for beer, cider/perry or wine - but I
suspect that almost anything fermentable will get distilled to produce
field-expedient rotgut.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae ad astra!

Roger

Prev: RE: [Way, way OT] Beer (was Re: Questions...) Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale