Prev: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale Next: Re: Questions regarding NAC ground units, was SG IF morale

Re: Supercavitation wasRe: Wet Navy in the future was Re:

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:12:24 -0800
Subject: Re: Supercavitation wasRe: Wet Navy in the future was Re:

Correct on the definition of Supercavitation.  However, it is NOT just
hypothetical or test stage.  The Soviets had a Torpedo, the Squall,
which
went 500 kph.  The Squall 2, also operartional IIRC, is guided.

Brian

"The Irish are the only race of people on Earth for which psychoanalysis
is
of no use."

				 - S. Freud

>From: bbrush@unlnotes.unl.edu
>To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
>Subject: Supercavitation wasRe: Wet Navy in the future was Re:
>Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:56:08 -0600
>

>This is all IIRC.
>
>Supercavitation is where you have a non-hydrodynamic projectile which
is
>propelled very rapidly underwater.  The shape of the projectile and the
>high thrust combine to create a full air cavity surrounding the
projectile.
>Basically the projectile is pushed so fast that it creates a "bubble"
>around the projectile.  This cuts drag down to almost nothing because
>there's no contact  with the water, which allows ridiculously high
speeds..
>The problems with this type of propulsion are numerous.  One is
initiating
>the supercavitation.  Another is propulsion, as conventional propulsion
is
>out (since they require water to work).  I think most of the current
>experiments with it use rocket motors.  The final hurdle for practical
>application of supercavitation is how to steer the bloody thing.
>Conventional control surfaces won't work because they either a) can't
get
>sufficient "bite" to change the course of the projectile or b) create
so
>much drag that they collapse the "bubble".
>
>I think this has come up around here before and I read some of the
articles
>that had links posted, which is where this came from.	 IIRC this was
>talked about in relation to the sinking of the Kursk since it was
>speculated that they were testing one of these torpedoes when it
exploded.

>Bill

Wet
>Navy in the future was Re: Questions
>		      rkeley.EDU		       regarding NAC
ground
>units,  was SG IF morale
>

>		      11/30/01 02:20 PM
>		      Please respond to gzg-l
>

>Brian Bilderback wrote:
> >
> > Along these lines, I just ran across a discussion of a technology
I'd